Wednesday, November 17, 2021

My mother myself

 

17 November 2021


Cat One pushed hole through

Screen door; Cat Two, who never

Leaves house, slinks through on


Deck while Joe and I

Text about our dying friend

She eats, she doesn’t


“What do I know?” Joe

Asks, semi-rhetorically

Young hospice worker


With flashy small car

Told me how to know active

Dying from passive


Where darkened skin spread

From foot to leg ascending

My mother’s body


(Though horizontal)

Who chose nothing life or death

She knew none of this


But her body took

Its stubborn council   to die

Is not to resist


Suffering   anxious

Love spilling over skin’s dam

Into my heart’s cave


Before I became

Her  or at least her mother

To sign a check is


To be someone   she

Knew, I’m not there with my friend

(We drifted apart)


My breath prayer flies

On mosquito wings a buzz

Before she dies turns


Alabaster white

Is taken out as matter

My mother my friend


Slip out the screen’s slit

Put paw in water puddle

Drink from mud circle


Turn toward living room

Push in, hiss at Cat 2, 3

Run out of living

 

 

No comments: