Sunday, March 15, 2020

Lilith meets a Republican


I guess I was lucky that Bryant made me kava for my sore back before Lilith and I headed out this morning. That meant that I felt mildly stoned when we ran into a neighbor who works for Hawaiian airlines, along with her big brown dog, Bear. She's a local woman, born and raised here, but unlike most local people, she's a Republican ("a soft one," she said). Mostly she hates politicians, and mostly she hates local politicians, plus the House and the Senate, all of those 70 year olds who aren't thinking anyway. Ige should do more; we're on an island. Pelosi has a really nice house with walls around it. She's a hypocrite. There should be walls. Her fiance is a vet and he can't get his meds. "That's part of the problem," I suggested, not realizing that the wall was being constructed so he might get his meds. She raised two or three kids alone. Lived in a car for a while, worked at Jack-in-the-Box (everyone who has a brain should suck it up and work for a living). If they lose their job, they should get another one. She doesn't want to pay for other people who aren't working. I suggested that health care is a human right, but she didn't agree. She worked for the welfare department and all these people came in for hand-outs. If you give people too much, they won't want to work. But really, we shouldn't follow parties; they're trying to divide us. We're not Republicans or Democrats, we're human beings. Colleagues on the plane won't even talk to her because of her beliefs. We briefly covered gun control and cops shooting black men and boys (predictably). Obama started this Black Power movement; things were never so black and white before he came along. Hillary Clinton is a criminal and should be in prison. Benghazi. I asked if she watches Fox news; she said, no, only local news, but her fiance does nothing but watch Fox, CNN and MSNBC. They're all cults. A new neighbor came out her back door and said a cheerful hello. I was grateful when my interlocutor said how much she liked the neighbor's haircut. Lilith and I took our walk. Lilith kept stopping to stare at me, wanting to turn around. I wondered if my dose of kava was helping or hurting, because all I wanted to do was cry. As I write this the rain comes in.

No comments: