Monday, April 13, 2020

Meditation 38



13 April 2020

Some of us have spiritual experiences. Others of us die.

She asked not to die alone. Her son stood outside the room, looking through a window. The doctor and nurse held her hand through their gloves, looked at her through their masks and face shields. At the moment she died, the doctor looked toward the son.

Consider how much our lives are lived at third hand through the screen. Truck brakes just now on the highway sound like our neighbor playing saxophone scales each afternoon. I’d forgotten the systematicity of scales.

Witness paralysis. I see what I cannot touch. I can tell time, but can’t show it. My daughter’s wall clock stopped months ago, but the gothic numbers persist as static aesthetics. Linear time circulates on a clock. It cannot yet promise resurrection, though we sat at respectable distances this Easter.

I exercised my anger so much it wore out, like a tendon that requires Tommy John. The arm of my anger hangs at my side like a flag in still air. The opposite of anger isn’t acceptance, or helplessness, but a form of waiting. Give me the courage to. My son asks me where I saw my first major league game, and I say RFK Stadium. His granddaughter and great-grandson drowned. Baptisms of cruelty.

U-turn to abstraction from a rain forest of particulars. Its unity may be false. Gather ye rosebuds. My daughter’s picnic basket is packed with small orange cones. She does distance soccer now, watches video, thinks about tactics.

Waiting. The wailing of the saxophone. He walked like he wasn’t of this earth. He played with men who were too much of it. An entire culture goes cold turkey. Carry us to the bathroom late at night to wretch. The wretched of the earth are essential. Hand them gift cards as you leave the store. They are dying so you can wander the aisles with your cart, face covered with a bandana. We’ve come to resemble the “others.” The only difference is that we count our steps, and they don't have the time.


No comments: