Wednesday, August 22, 2018

22 August 2018


I want to write an honest sentence. My son leaves to do an honest day's work, while I stay home to write sentences. The television splits its screen between two dumb-faced courthouses. After one verdict, a woman in a blue dress sprints away from one of them. We talk about persuading those who will not be persuaded. It's not logic we reach for, but a counter-emotion to fear. The man who took beautiful photos of our kids at the pool claimed Clinton's henchmen called him every night to threaten his life. (I wrote “lie.”) A former student thought there was a bug in his penis, installed by the government. Paranoia requires system, or is it the other way? Do not disturb the toothbrush in the cup or the place-setting at dinner. They are as they should be present. We assume the air, the trade wind through the palm with one dead frond, the round pot our dog digs in, fledgling bird songs, an entire world free of twitter and white nationalism. It no longer seems macabre to imagine my own death, but brute anticipation of fact. My dog pokes his nose into the white cat's side. He's the cat who's 14 on one block and four on the next, the one who comes when you call him. Orange splotch on his narrow white face, above pellucid blue eyes. Nearing 60, I pause to watch, scratch the cat, then turn up the hill with my dog.

---22 August 2018

No comments: