"I'm sorry," I mouthed, remembering the security cams in the cemetery. Woman had been hugging man (his tattooed forearm wrapped around her back), whispering "braddah." When she turned I saw that she had tears in her eyes. I said it was good to see her, thanked her for taking care of the cats. I realized that mine was the only voice. Man and woman remained silent, looked at me without responding.
Up the hill, a worker in a Black Panther shirt and Josh in emergency green were surveying the cemetery. "We're going to cut down all these trees," Panther said. They are eucalyptus trees, a couple damaged in the storms. I suggested cutting the broken areas and leaving the rest. "It's the boss; he wants walkers like you to have a view." When I said I liked to see trees, he said he meant "tourists."
I've never seen a tourist up that particular hill. But there is a security camera at the top.
No comments:
Post a Comment