Sunday, July 7, 2024

Conundrum: fifth elegy for Sina

Conundrum


If I held your hand as you died

I hadn’t protected you

And if I protected you / I failed /

Leaving your hand and mine

hanging in the stale air

of dying; what did you realize

in those blood-drowned

moments / between / living

and having-lived / or having

had / ownership of air / spent years /

for we are all consumers

of what eats us alive

perched between body

and parasite, we in our present,

it in a future defined as self-

loss/ if body can be lost / not

waylaid like keys or a toothbrush

left on a yellow sink in a black

room, beam of light laughing

at our wanting to own it /

I write “your killer” as if / she

belonged to you / and you let go /

shedding onion skins of light

arriving at a perfect sphere

shed of so many imperfections

If I had held your actual hand,

chanting actual mantras, would

that have allowed us to get up

walk out of that room alive /

or are you because we watched

you radiate a tunnel of light

seeping through our minds’ skin

down to what we call “soul”

if we’re not ashamed.





 

No comments: