Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Lilith in Waianae


My friends and I stopped at Starbucks in Waianae. While they went inside, I got Lilith out of the car to pee and sniff on a grassy area. At the end of the parking lot, on the other side of an old car packed with stuff, a homeless man sat shirtless (though he held a piece of cardboard to his side) in a wheelchair. He was gazing across Farrington Highway at the ocean. "Hi Aunty," he said, "could you give me some money?" I had no cash, but asked if he'd like a drink from Starbucks. "Yes, raspberry!" There was no raspberry--not until next month--so I ordered a dragon fruit drink, saying it was for the man outside, commenting on the sobering level of homeless outside. (There were tents, tarps and temporary constructions nearly all the way up the coast fronting the beaches). I took the drink to him and told him they had no raspberry, just dragon fruit. "Oh aunty, same color," he said with a glint in his eye.

No comments: