Saturday, March 19, 2022

Dog names

 

After we paused to talk to the young guys on the other side of the Loop who said they went to Ireland to attend an international red-hair festival and we talked a bit about how red-heads are dying out because they're a recessive gene Lilith and I walked up Haunani Road, pausing in front of the house with amazing gardens and bottles stuck in a rock wall, a round red door built in. A man and a woman sat on the lanai; two dogs came to the gate to bark at us. "Are you the guy who names his dogs after anti-depressants?" I asked. "Yes, that's Dox," he answered, naming the large black hound closest dog to us. I asked what other names he'd given his dogs. "Paxil, Prozac" (I've been on those, I said), "Ritty" (for ritalin, a bit off-category), "Zoloft." "What was the name of my little dog?" he asked the woman beside him. "Oh, Prozac!" He buries the dogs in the front yard. Prozac's down there now. I always intended to dedicate a book to Amitriptylene, but never got around to it. We also saw this:
 

 

No comments: