Thursday, August 20, 2020

A kinda sorta Lilith story

 

I attended my dharma seminar with Norman Fischer this afternoon. The subject: equanimity. Then I watched speeches on video by Obama and Harris, the former warning of the end of democracy. Took Lilith for a walk and ran into a neighbor whose dog is a good buddy of L's. He's a gay man who wants out of the military. He has a new roommate, a woman who is perhaps also in the military and moved here recently. Radhika signed them up for giving food to those who need it for every 10,000 steps they take (and he is a true fitness nut). I said I'd just been watching the Democratic convention, which elicited "not me's" from the two of them and a sigh from Radhika. He said that he'd not vote for Trump (having voted for Mickey Mouse instead of Obama) because he doesn't like the way Trump treats people. I injected something about Trump's being a criminal, whereupon his friend declared, "they all are." I argued that point, to no effect. Radhika and I returned home and I pondered the difficulties of equanimity. Many thank yous to Norman (and also Hank Lazer in Tuscaloosa) for a summer of dharma, and to Brenda Kwon for yoga nidra and to the Volcano meditation class on Sundays. The practices have been sustaining (to put it mildly), though as Radhika will tell you, her mother still instigates such arguments on a regular basis.

No comments: